I recently attended an event that featured many speakers including Tony Robbins! As a business owner, I find it’s super important to get outside stimulation – especially the forest kind. As in can’t see the forest through the trees. Running a business day to day is the trees, and it’s easy to get stuck there.
What pearls of wisdom did I come away with, you may ask. Let’s see!!
Robert Herjavec: (of Shark Tank fame – among other things)
- Innovators create value that other people didn’t know existed.
- If you want to go somewhere, learn from someone who has been there.
- You MUST BELIEVE you can get to where you want to be.
- Create value to the people around you.
- Be a source of joy – be fun!
- The world does not reward mediocrity.
- Before you can sell ANYTHING, you have to sell YOURSELF.
- No excuses or complaining because nobody cares.
- Learn accounting or someone in your life will take advantage of you.
- When the pain of your current situation is too much, you either wallow or do something to change.
- You can be the “victim”, or you can do something about it.
- Purpose – you must have it. And your measure of success must be more than money.
Gary Vaynerchuk: Digital Marketing Expert (among other things). I’m following him on social media now. Great stuff!
- Pillars of success:
- Self Awareness – Audit your strengths. Play to your strengths instead of only trying to shore up your weaknesses.
- Hustle – This is the pillar you have the most control over.
- Empathy – as in having the ability to understand and share other’s feelings.
- 51/49 – How do I bring more value to my customers.
- Clouds and Dirt. Same as my Forest and Trees. You must spend time in both places.
- Social Media is about attention. Before you get a chance to sell, you have to have the attention of your customer.
- Care about what works NOW. You can always change as needed.
- Jab, jab, jab, right hook. (engage, engage, engage, sell), or, (give value, give value, give value, ask)
- STOP COMPLAINING, NOBODY CARES! (huh! there it is again!)
Tony Robbins: Does he really need an introduction? 🙂
- Two skills to master: The SCIENCE of Achievement, and the ART of Fulfillment.
- Achievement (success) without fulfillment, is failure.
- Stop looking at your fear and focus on what you want.
- Follow your stress and find your fear.
- Gratitude kills fear and anger.
- Three Forces of Creation
- Focus. The power of absolute clarity and commitment
- Massive Action. Effective Execution
- Grace. aka Serendipity and luck.
- Get Obsessed!! Where Focus goes, energy flows.
- We experience our INTERPRETATION of life. Control what you focus on.
- Two states of being: Beautiful State, and Suffering. Strive to be in the former.
All of these bits of wisdom came from the notes I took at the event. Tony Robbins spoke for four hours! I may not have written it down, but I do remember that somewhere in that time I heard, “Stop Complaining, Nobody Cares!!“
There you have it! Lots of great information. Much of it synthesized and affirmed concepts and advice I have read over the years. But the STOP COMPLAINING – NOBODY CARES… that REALLY caught my attention! Why??
It’s one thing to evaluate a situation, determine change is necessary, and then take action. That’s productive. It is quite another to complain, to play the woe is me, life’s not fair card, and to be the victim.
It’s like a tar pit. You just get stuck. Like Tony Robbins said, “where focus goes, energy flows”. This becomes wasted energy. I don’t know about you, but I haven’t got any energy to waste!
The most recent example I can think of concerns our presidential election and the state of the federal government. (I’m not making a political statement HERE – I use this because it is a perfect example.) I’ve done a lot of complaining, and boy does misery love company. The whole situation has been an energy suck! I’ve already told you that I have NO ENERGY TO WASTE!! The problem is that my complaining has not led to any productive action. And it’s taken away valuable time from my business and personal life.
Since hearing the message, STOP COMPLAINING, NOBODY CARES, I’ve determined what I can do. Now I have a positive action plan to address my concerns. I feel like I took off a backpack full of bricks! This strategy is good for big problems, and little ones. It puts you in solution mode. And I really LOVE being in solution mode!
Side note… Bill and I (and the other 7000 attendees) were challenged to go seven days without complaining. We’re not there yet, but I think it’s a worthy endeavor!
It seems, lots of famous people have an opinion about complaining.
Find a remedy. And then take action. There is no change without action!
Knowledge is Power!
I hope you found this information useful. Once again, thanks for stopping by! 🙂